Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Alternative vs Conventional Treatment

Ok, I'll be honest...I'm still not comfortable with my fibromyalgia diagnosis.  I don't doubt the diagnosis itself, actually the more I read and find out about it, the more it makes sense and fits what I've been experiencing.  But I'm just not "cool" with it.  I mean, isn't one weird neurological disorder enough?  Apparently not.

So I'm cruising along on my conventional, western medical treatment.  Most of my medication for RSD/CRPS translates over to fibro anyway.  But now it's time to start exploring all the fun (and insurance uncovered) alternative treatments.  Well, I guess the chiropractor is somewhat covered by insurance.  Although he was better covered last year.  Apparently as New Year's revelers celebrated the countdown to midnight and the change from 2012 to 2013, my insurance company was salivating and wringing their greedy little fists as my chiropractic visits when from covered with a $60 co-pay to not covered until my deductible is met and then the $60 co-pay.  The joke is on them, I have so may medical problems, I've probably met my deductible by now!

So tomorrow I get my back cracked and while it's probably not even related to fibro, it should help with the neck and shoulder pain.  I have 3 protruding discs and mild scoliosis which require occasional adjustments, providing sounds that resemble handfuls of snap and pop fireworks, stepping on a bunch of twigs or twisting bubble wrap.

Then Friday I'm scheduled for a massage.  Something I used to really enjoy but lately has become painful.  That's part of the fibro, I'm told.  But I still think it has it's benefits and I'm doing it on a Friday so I don't have to work the next day if it kicks my butt.  I do, however, have to drag myself out of bed Saturday morning for yoga class.  I finally got the guts to sign up.  Bought a Groupon deal for 5 discounted classes for "gentle yoga" and just hoping it lives up to it's name!  I've tried a few yoga videos but never quite gotten the hang of it.  The angles put an awkward strain on my bad ankle.  But now there's more at stake than just my ankle.

Should be an interesting next few days.  Probably going to be overdoing it.  But I can't sit here feeling sorry for myself forever.  Hopefully these things will help.  Next I will add in either pilates classes or tai chi.  I bought a Groupon deal for 5 discounted pilates classes and the studio also offers pilates and yoga classes on Stand Up Paddle boards (yeah right!).  Then there are 2 facilities locally that offer tai chi classes and the first class is free, so I need to work up the courage to try those as well.  Tai chi is great for breathing and relaxation.  I'll never forget watching folks doing it in San Fransisco on City Hall's lawn and in Golden Gate park.  I'd love to be able to do it on the beach someday.

Then there are the alternative treatments everyone and their sister has to offer.  From natural supplements, juice drinks and hocus pocus .  I know everyone means well and if I had unlimited resources, time and energy maybe I could try them all but right now I need time and space to figure out what's best for me.  If I did have the funding, I would be back on my Right 4 Your Type supplements and vitamins because I've never felt better than when I was taking them, I believe in them and the science behind them and they are great products.  Unfortunately funding is low and I can't afford them right now, but as soon as I can, I will be back on them.  I also follow the blood type diet when I can, as much as I can.  Now that I've been diagnosed with fibro, I really need to get back to following it more strictly.  But I also need to reduce stress so I'm taking baby steps right now and just doing the best I can.

Other alternative treatments include:
  • acupuncture - won't be trying due to nerve related pain, don't think needles are a good idea
  • meditation - I have a hard time sitting still and quieting my mind
  • relaxation training - see above, to be able to do this I will need extensive training since this is not an easy thing for me
  • counseling - appointment scheduled with former neurologist turned psychiatrist April 22nd
  • supplements - see above regarding Right 4 Your Type
  • hypnosis - I'm a skeptic that this is even a thing
  • stretching - sounds like pilates and yoga will cover that
  • diet modification - I've been working on this one for years anyway, cut way back on processed foods, no nitrates or nitrites, rarely eat pork or beef, rarely dine out, eat mostly organic, incorporate more fruits and veggies into diet, very little sugar or gluten
  • biofeedback - still not sure what it is
In the meantime, I continue to take one day at a time and take my medications.  I go back to my doctors April 8th - internal medicine, neurologist and pain management.  Try to find joy in the little things, like my sweet dogs Dodie, Heidi and Margarita.  Catch a glimpse of the Gulf of Mexico every now and then.  Make someone smile even while I'm silently suffering in pain.  Keep up with friends and family on Facebook, sharing in their happiness and sorrows.  Offering a prayer or comforting word.  And hope everyday I wake up that maybe, just maybe I'll feel good, not looking for great, just good!

No comments:

Post a Comment