Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu
 
Although this is my second attempt at a blog, getting started is always the hardest part!  That and one of my biggest hindrance is the feeling I have nothing substantial to contribute to society.  But is that really for me to decide?  I've always been my worst critic.
 
So I'm diving in and not really sure what direction this is going to take me.  My intention is to share my journey, both figuratively and literally.  We all start our journeys much in the same way, just trying to get by, find a little happiness and make a positive impression on those around us.  I've had more than my share of bumps in the road and for now, I will start with my most recent bumps.
 
The catalyst, so to speak, occurred summer 2008 as I watched a young, vibrant and beautiful co-worker and friend fall victim to the most dreaded of all diseases...cancer.  There weren't a lot of early warning signs and it moved quickly and aggressively.  Then she was gone.  Why?  How does this happen?
 
I started paying more attention to potential toxins and carcinogens...and found they were everywhere.
 
Then came an even more personal event.  While walking in my back yard, my right ankle found a rather large groundhog hole.  What should have been a major sprain or minor fracture turned into a hellish nightmare that I am still dealing with almost four years later.  Early diagnosis and treatment are imperative and luckily I got those but when you're dealing with a complex, incurable condition...there's really no easy way out.  I have a neuro-autoimmune condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).
 
What is CRPS/RSD and why is it so bad? Try dealing with unbearable pain almost constantly, medications can take the edge off but my foot never truly stops hurting. Try having different functions of your sympathetic nervous system (SNS) going haywire. Most people don't even know what the SNS controls. The common symptoms of SNS disorders are slurred speech, loss of muscle strength, hypertension, headache, loss of memory, seizures, tremors, cardiovascular diseases, erectile dysfunction (not a problem for me!), breathing problems, and trouble with swallowing.
 
In addition to there being no cure for CRPS/RSD, there's no definitive cause.  Again my research has lead me to possible toxins in our food, household cleaners and personal care products.  Some may say I'm over reacting, worrying too much and maybe even being ridiculous.  But if there's something I can do, whether minor or major, to ease my suffering and educate others...why wouldn't I?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment